Frequently Asked Questions - All FAQs

View Frequently Asked Questions received by various departments in the Town of Wawayanda.

Water & Sewer FAQs

Who do I call if I have a problem when the Water/Sewer office is closed?

If you have a water or sewer emergency after hours, call (973) 774-3689.

Can my water meter be defective?

A water meter can be defective. A water meter has an internal disc or paddles that move when water passes through them. Water then moves the wheels or the register to record the water that passes through it. When the disc or paddles wear down, due to environment or from a defect inside of the meter, it will not register correctly. Since we use meters that record only the water that passes through them, the defect will actually cause a lower water bill. A water meter will never record usage unless water passes through it. A meter can never run fast.

What do I do if I have a high bill?

The Water & Sewer billing office is open Monday thru Friday from 9am to 4pm. If you think your bill might be incorrect please feel free to contact us at 845-355-5700, Option 5.

In many cases excessive water consumption can be attributed to a leak. Please click the link below for possible causes of high usage and tips on how to determine if you have a leak within your home.

How to Find Water Leaks in a House

If there is a leak, what is the Town responsible to repair?

The Water Department is responsible for the water main, main valves and Fire Hydrants. The service line which starts at the Water Main and goes to the house is the customer’s responsibility, even if the leak is in the curb valve but is on the service line. If you have a leak on the service line, you will have to contact a plumber for repairs.

What is the price of Water and Sewer and how is it billed?

The Town of Wawayanda operates 5 water and 3 sewer districts. For the rates in your district, please click the link below.

Bills are mailed to customers quarterly in January, April, July, and October. Payment is due within 20 days without penalty, in person at the Town Hall or by mail. Bill that are paid after the due date will incur a 5% penalty on the total outstanding balance. Failure to receive a water bill does not prevent a late charge. All unpaid balances as of October 31st will be levied on the following year Town and County Tax Bill.

2024 Water & Sewer Rates

How can I pay my Water / Sewer bill?

Water and Sewer bills can paid online using our Online Portal. They can also be mailed or paid in person at the Wawayanda Town Hall, 80 Ridgebury Hill Road, Slate Hill, NY 10973. Please make your check or money order payable to the Town of Wawayanda Supervisor. 

How can I view the Annual Water Quality Reports?

The Annual Water Quality Reports for all water districts are posted within our Document Center under the "Water & Sewer" category. Please navigate to the correct year's folder to see the reports from that time period. 

Tax Collector FAQs

I never received my bill, or I received it late; do I still have to pay the penalty?

Yes, the failure to mail a statement or the failure of a property owner to receive a statement will not affect the validity of the taxes or interest prescribed by law (New York State Real Property Tax Law §922). In addition, neither the Tax Collector nor any other official has legal authority to waive statutory penalty charges. These are fixed by the Real Property Tax Law. If they are waived, the collecting officer will be personally responsible. As all records are audited by State examiners, there is absolutely no discretion in this matter. The Constitution and the law of the State mandates the procedure.

If I mail my payment on the due date do I have to pay a penalty?

No. New York State Real Property Tax Law §925, provides as follows: “Payment of taxes by mail, when enclosed in a postpaid wrapper (envelope) properly addressed to the appropriate collecting officer and is deposited in a post office or official depository under the exclusive care and custody of the United States Post Office shall, upon delivery, be deemed to have been made to such officer on the date of the United States Postmark on such wrapper. The provisions of this section shall not apply in the case of postmarks not made by the United States Post Office. A postage meter postmark is not a postmark made by the United States Post Office and, therefore, is not within in the provisions of Real Property Tax Law §925. Payments can not be deemed timely because of a postage meter postmark date on an envelope containing a tax payment (Op. New York State Comp. 69-170).

If taxes are not received until after the due date, they are not paid until after the due date unless they fall squarely within the provisions of section 925 of the Real Property Tax Law, and the penalty must be added and collected. No Town Official or employee can waive the penalty (Op. New York State Comp. 68-626).

Do you accept payment with credit cards?

Payments can be made online with a credit card.

Can I pay my taxes in installments?

No. The Town of Wawayanda does not accept installment payments.

Can I pre-pay my taxes?

No, the warrant constitutes the mantle of authority for the collecting officer to receive the taxes. Therefore, the warrant must be regarded as the instrument which empowers the collecting officer to begin the collection. Collection authority can not begin prior to the date of the warrant.

What if my mailing address changes?

Address changes must be made in writing. Notify either the Tax Office or the Assessor’s Office by mail, e-mail or fax.

What if my mortgage is paid up?

In order to make sure you will receive the tax bills prior to the penalty period (February for Town/County Taxes), you must notify the Tax Office in your Town. Send or fax a copy of the “Satisfaction of Mortgage” letter from your lender.

How do I apply for exemptions?

All exemptions are handled by the Assessor’s Office. Any questions, please call Assessor at (845) 355-5700 x 9.

Where will I see the STAR exemption?

The basic STAR exemption only affects your School Tax portion of your primary residence.

Town Clerk FAQs

What are the FOIL Rules and Regulations?


I.   The following records shall be available for public inspection:

  1. Final opinions made in the adjudication of cases.
  2. Statements of policy and interpretations.
  3. Minutes of meetings and public hearings.
  4. Internal and external audits
  5. Administrative staff manuals.
  6. Police blotters and booking records.
  7. Names, addresses, titles and salaries of officers, and law enforcement agencies.
  8. Final determinations and dissenting opinions of members.
  9. Any other records, papers, documents or files required by any other law to be made available for public inspection and copying. 

II.   The following is a list of places, times and persons from whom information may be obtained:

  1. TOWN CLERK - Kathryn Sherlock  - Tel. 845-355-5700, Option 3
    Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
  2. BUILDING INSPECTOR - Charles White  - Tel. 845-355-5700, Option 7
    Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
  3. PLANNING BOARD -  (Secretary) - Tel. 845-355-5700, Option 8
    By appointment only  call between 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
  4. ASSESSOR - Heather Shields - Tel. 845-355-5700, Option 9
    By appointment only call between 9 am - 4 pm.
  5. SUPERVISOR - Denise Quinn - Tel. 845-355-5700, Option 4
    By appointment only  call between 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.
  6. TAX COLLECTOR - Kathryn Sherlock   - Tel. 845-355-5700, Option 3
  7. JUSTICES - Nick Chase & Shawn O'Connor - Tel. 845-355-5700, Option 1,  By appointment only.

Foil request forms (Freedom of Information Law) are now filed online.

For further information or questions call the Town Clerk's office, 845-355-5700.